Pages

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Killer Bows

Today at church I heard two things worth noting.  First, one of the nicest downs syndrome ladies in our ward bore her testimony.  She had it all written down, but still struggled reading some of the words.  She was undeniably perfect.  With both hands firmly planted on the pulpit she said, "Heavenly Father and Jesus know each of us, and that we have feelings."  I flashed back to a dear friend, Lori Ellison, who grew up across the street from us.  She was just like my new best friend at church.  She was about twenty years older than me, but I was still tasked with babysitting her every now and then.  One night, she was on the phone with one of her friends and was visibly upset.  I asked her what was wrong and she responded, "My feel-goods are hurt."  Her response stayed with me since, and I was reminded of it while sitting in our pew.  Maybe we all ought to be a bit more concerned with how others are feeling, and to steer away from hurting anyone's feel-goods.

The next quip was not nearly as uplifting.  While putting our little nugget into her carseat before going home, an elderly lady came up to the carseat, and after looking at the bow on her head said, "Mommy's brain-squisher is going to make you retarded."  I'm freaking serious.  She just dropped that bomb and then waltzed away with her slip showing out at the bottom of her skirt.  Can you believe that? Who let's their slip show at the bottom of their skirt?!  We just stood there, jaws on the carpeted-floor.  I took off her little fabric bow because I was completely taken off guard.  Are we hurting our baby in our attempts to beautify her?  Is that why they say beauty is pain?  Hopefully not, because there are three more bows in transit from some shop off Etsy...  Either way, that lady should back the H off.  It's not like we're prancing her around in one of these:



And even if we were, it is certainly none of YOUR STINKIN' BUSINESS! 

2 comments:

  1. Holy cow! That is one of the RUDEST things I've ever heard! I mean, being old grants you some tell-it-like-it-is privileges, but SERIOUSLY?!?!?!? Not only is what that lady said not true, it's just downright WRONG for anybody to even INSINUATE something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahhahaha....first time I've come to your blog and I'm loving it! Such funny lines/stories etc.

    ReplyDelete